Who We Are
The Marion Austin Story
Marion’s calling for the HFC ministry began shortly after she retired. At age 67, she left her 20+ year career, where she served the U.S. military as a Diet Therapist. Determined to not just “sit around” in her retirement years, she set out to get involved in something meaningful, something that would be challenging and give her a purpose in post-career years.
Marion began traveling to Haiti, offering her knowledge in planning daily nutritional meal plans for over 1,500 children who were living at a large and over-crowded Christian orphanage. Finding purpose and God’s hand in these visits, she eventually met and partnered with HFC co-founder Dr. Jacob Bernard.
Their collaboration evolved into starting a new orphanage by renovating an existing but dilapidated old school building. Through their faith, dedication, and compassion for the multitudes of impoverished children, they set out on their vision to make a difference. That same building still houses HFC today, as a 3-story renovated home and school to those they serve.
Marion passed away in 2005, but HFC continues her mission in the name of Christ. Her legacy is perhaps best exemplified by Paul’s words in 2 Corinthians 1:4: “God comforts us in all of our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”
Marion strongly believed in empowering the Haitian children with the tools that they need to succeed, knowing they could one day become Christian leaders and role models in the Haitian society. Marion’s story is an inspiration to all of us who carry on her dream.
Our Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity and humanity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His present rule as Head of the Church, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the barrenness of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equality across racial, gender, and class differences.
Our Vision and Mission Statement
Our Co-Founder, Marion Austin strongly believed in empowering our Haitian children with the tools that they need to succeed, knowing they could one day become Christian leaders and role models in the Haitian society.
“God comforts us in all of our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” 2 Corinthians 1:4